Back to home...
is the biggest city of the state and is the
main centre of commercial and industrial activities. Formerly it was known
as Manchester of India. Now it is the commercial capital of Uttar Pradesh.
It is situated on the most important national highways no. 2 & 25 and
state highway, the main Delhi-Howrah railway trunck lines & at the bank of
holy river Ganga. It is about 126 meters above the sea level. Presently
civilian air-service to Delhi is available for the city at Ahirwan. The
other nearest civilian air port Amausi (Lucknow) is 65Km. away from
Kanpur is also divisional headquarter of Kanpur commissionery consisting
of following districts:
Kanpur is connected by road with all the major cities of the country. It
is situated on National Highway No. 2 on the Delhi-Agra-Allahabad-Calcutta
route and on National Highway No. 25 on the Lucknow-Jhansi-Shivpuri route.
Distances from some destinations in the region:
Lucknow - 79 km.
Allahabad - 193 km.
Varanasi - 329 km.
Agra - 269 km.
Jhansi - 222 kms.
Kanpur History & Location
Nestled on the banks of the eternal Ganga, Kanpur stands as one of North
India's major industrial centers with its own historical, religious and
commercial importance. Believed to be founded by king Hindu Singh of the
erstwhile state of Sachendi, Kanpur was originally known as `Kanhpur'.
Historically, Jajmau on the eastern outskirts of present day Kanpur is
regarded as one of the most archaic townships of Kanpur district.
The biggest city of UttarPradesh and eighth biggest in India. Kanpur is
the most important metropolis of the state. According to the 2001 census,
the city had a population of 25,51,337. Among the big towns of Uttar
Pradesh , the growth of kanpur has been phenomenal. It ranked third after
Lucknow and Varanasi in 1901, but by 1961 it assumed a position on top of
the list. It has registered an increase of over five times from 1,97,170
in 1901 to 9,71,062 in 1961 in the course of six decades. This is mainly
due to its most central location in the state. Kanpur has benefited from
its fertile agricultural hinterland of the Upper Ganga Valley and
Bundelkhand plateau, the available developed links of transportation and
the stimulant of World War-2 with its industrial demand. In this city, in
spite of a low percentage of irrigated area, the density is high and that
is obviously due to great industrial Concentration.
Upto the 1st half of the 18th century Kanpur continued to survive as an
insignificant village. Its fate, however, took a new turn soon after. In
May 1765, Shuja-ud-daula, the Nawab Wazir of Awadh, was defeated by the
British near Jajmau. It was probably at this time that strategic
importance of the site of Kanpur was realized by the British. European
businessmen had by this time gradually started establishing themselves in
Kanpur. In order to ensure protection to their lives and property the `Awadh
local forces' were shifted here in 1778. Kanpur passed into British hands
under the treaty of 1801 with Nawab Saadat Ali Khan of Awadh. This forms a
turning point in the history of Kanpur. Soon Kanpur became one of the most
important military station of British India. It was declared a district on
24th March 1803.
Kanpur in 1857
It was Cawnpore that came to symbolize the horror of the mutiny for the
British and without doubt what transpired there in the summer of 1857 was
a major factor in the thirst for vengeance which seemed to drive the
British troops as they fought to reverse the mutineers initial successes.
Till the end of the mutiny, British troops going forward with the bayonet
shouted "Cawnpore! Cawnpore!" as their warcry and punishments meted out to
captured mutineers were executed with Cawnpore in mind.
After 1857, the development of Kanpur was even more phenomenal. Government
Harness and Saddlery Factory was started for supplying leather material
for army in 1860, followed by Cooper Allen & Co. in 1880. The first cotton
textile mill, the Elgin Mills were started in 1862 and Muir Mills in 1882.
Today besides being the most industrialized region of the state, Kanpur is
also an important educational centre, with institutions like Harcourt
Butler Technological Institute, Agricultural College, Indian Institute of
Technology, GSVM Medical College, National Sugar Institute and Government
Textile Institute being located here.
Apart from playing a stellar role in the development of the country as a
whole, Kanpur has also been instrumental in making an unforgettable
contribution to the Indian freedom struggle. A favorite centre of
activities of stalwarts like Nanarao Peshwa, Tantiya Tope, Sardar Bhagat
Singh and Chander Shekhar Azad among others, Kanpur is also the birth
place of Shyamlal Gupta `Parshad�, composer of the famous patriotic ditty
`Vijayee Vishwa Tiranga Pyara�. The propagation and popularization of
Hindi also owes much to this city, with great Hindu literatures like
Acharya Mahavir Parasad Dwivedi, Ganesh Shanker Vidyarthi, Pratap Narain
Mishra, Acharya Gaya Prasad Shukla `Sanehi and Balkrishna Sharma `Navin�
having hailed from here.
The city which once was termed as Manchester of India for its matured
cotton industry. The city which hosted (and still hosts) the world famous
'Lal Imli' woolen factory, industries such as LML, Pan Parag, ICI Limited
(now known as Duncuns Fertilisers), one of the largest leather industries
in the world and myriad cotton mills.
city which boosts one of the largest number of defense establishments; To
name a few Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL), DMSRDE, Small Arms
Factory(SAF), Field Gun Factory and Parachute factory.